Spontaneous rupture of umbilical hernia in an adult with evisceration of small bowel: a case report
AbstractSpontaneous rupture of umbilical hernia in an adult patient is a rare presentation. We present a case of a 43-year old male patient with long standing history of umbilical hernia who presented with sudden spontaneous rupture of the hernia with evisceration of the small bowel. The authors would like to highlight this rare complication of umbilical hernia and its management.
2. Henriksen NA, Montgomery A, Kaufmann R, et al. Guidelines for treatment of umbilical and epigastric hernias from the European Hernia Society and Americas Hernia Society. Br J Surg. 2020 Feb;107(3):171-190.
3. Johnnson JT: Ruptured umbilical hernia. Trans South Surg Assoc 1901, 14:257-268.
4. Kokotovic D, Sjølander H, Gögenur I, Helgstrand F. Watchful waiting as a treatment strategy for patients with a ventral hernia appears to be safe. Hernia. 2016 Apr;20(2):281-7.
5. Bedewi MA, El-Sharkawy MS, Al Boukai AA, Al-Nakshabandi N. Prevalence of adult paraumbilical hernia. Assessment by high-resolution sonography: a hospital-based study. Hernia. 2012 Feb;16(1):59-62.
6. Choo EK, McElroy S. Spontaneous Bowel Evisceration in a Patient with Alcoholic Cirrhosis and an Umbilical Hernia. J Emerg Med. 2008 Jan;34(1):41–3.
7. Colbran R, Smith A, Melloy A, Iyer R. Spontaneous umbilical hernia rupture with omental evisceration and Flood syndrome. Int Surg J. 2019;6(10):3830-3.
8. Liu GF, Srinivasan A, Mutnuri S, Yerramadha MR, Agraharkar M. Acute Abdomen From Umbilical Hernia Rupture to Flood Syndrome: A Case Report and Review of Literature. J Med Cases. 2019;10(10):309–11.
9. DeLuca IJ, Grossman ME. Flood syndrome. JAAD Case Rep. 2014 Sep 28;1(1):5–6.
10. Nguyen ET, Tudtud-Hans LA. Flood Syndrome. Spontaneous Umbilical Hernia Rupture Leaking Ascitic Fluid-A Case Report. Perm J. 2017;21:16–152.
11. Chapman CB, Snell AM, Roundtree LG. Decompensated portal cirrhosis. JAMA 1931. 97:237-244.
12. Good DW, Royds JE, Smith MJ, Neary PC, Eguare E. Umbilical hernia rupture with evisceration of omentum from massive ascites: A case report. J Med Case Rep. 2011 May 3;5:170.
13. Gilleard WL, Brown JM. Structure and function of the abdominal muscles in primigravid subjects during pregnancy and the immediate postbirth period. Phys Ther. 1996 Jul;76(7):750-62.
14. Lalatta Costerbosa G, Barazzoni AM, Lucchi ML, Bortolami R: Histochemical types and sizes of fibres in the rectus abdominis muscle of guinea pig: adaptive response to pregnancy. Anat Rec. 1987 Jan;217(1):23-9.
15. Papavramidis TS, Duros V, Michalopoulos A, Papadopoulos VN, Paramythiotis D, Harlaftis N. Intra-abdominal pressure alterations after large pseudocyst transcutaneous drainage. BMC Gastroenterol. 2009; 9:42.
16. Kotidis EV, Papavramidis TS, Ioannidis K, Cheva A, Lazou T, Michalopoulos N et al. The effect of chronically increased intra- abdomial pressure on rectus abdominis muscle histology an experimental study on rabbits. J Surg Res. 2011 Dec;171(2):609-14.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Copyright and Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
JSSN applies the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license to all works we publish. Under the CC BY license, authors retain ownership of the copyright for their article, but authors allow anyone to download, reuse, reprint, distribute, and/or copy articles in JSSN, so long as the original authors and source are cited. No permission is required from the authors or the publishers.
Article by JSSN is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://www.jssn.org.np/index.php?journal=jssn.